- Full name: Arthur van Dam
- At the moment I live in: Utrecht, The Netherlands
- Date of Birth: September, 20, 1979
- Further contact-info can be requested by email.
- Sep 2009 - now: Researcher/advisor in hydrodynamics at Deltares, a research institute in delta technology.
- Oct 2004 - Jun 2009: Ph.D. student at
the Math. Inst., Utrecht Univ. on a four-year project into adapative mesh strategies for PDE systems.
More info at my research homepage
- 1999 - 2008: I started out as a car washer at
Van der Ham Veevoeder , but since 1999 I was maintaining their websites. Soon, my major task was engineering and maintaining various agricultural planning- and consultation-applications in MSAccess and Visual Basic.
- 2001 - 2004: I continued building websites for the company 24-7 ISS, followed by
where my main expertise was dynamic websites and online applications using PHP and (MySQL-)databases.
- Sep 2001 - May 2002: scientific research project (for graduation in Computational Science), during an internship at
TNO Inro (Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research).
- 1999 - 2001: I created numerous websites for various companies. I do both design (in Photoshop) and content development (PHP, HTML, CSS).
- 1996 - 1998: holiday job at
Gemeente Giessenlanden , administration and bookkeeping activities.
Professional capabilities and interests
- Spoken languages:
- Dutch, (mother tongue)
- German, (moderate)
- French, (moderate)
- Mathematical research:
- Adaptive, time-dependent moving meshes
- Partial differential equations, nonlinear, systems, Euler/MHD, Runge-Kutta, Cranck-Nicholson, etc.
- Finite Volumes, flux and slope limiters
- Further mathematical education:
- Numerical Mathematics
- Finite Differences, Finite Elements, Finite Volumes
- Numerical solvers, Conjugate Gradients, QMR, BiCG-STAB, etc.
- matrix topics, sparsity, singularity, etc.
- Software engineering and education:
- Optimization topics, Simulated Annealing
- Graph-algorithms, trees, search/sorting-algorithms
- Parallel programming (using BSPLib)
- Object-oriented design and programming
- Functional programming
- Parser and compiler generation and usage
- Program Analysis (dataflow, control flow, etc.)
- Program Transformation (using Stratego)
- Experience with computer languages:
- C/C++ (advanced)
- FORTRAN 90/95 (advanced)
- MATLAB (advanced)
- (La)TeX (advanced)
- Stratego (advanced)
- PHP (advanced)
- HTML 4 incl. CSS (advanced)
- Java (average)
- SQL (average)
- BSPlib or MPI, parallel programming (intermediate)
- Haskell (intermediate)
- Perl (novice)
- ASP (novice)
(scale: novice -- intermediate -- average -- advanced -- expert)
In my spare time, I...
- Go out speed cycling or mountainbiking.
- go out inline skating.
- do some photography. I took a beginner course, and experimented a lot myself. Stitching panoramas is great fun!
- used to program some nifty scripts (usually PHP),
- go to movies, go out with friends
- Fond of US National Parks, warm and sunny Italy (cycling, lazing and eating), ...
- One day I really want to travel to Iceland, New Zealand, Scotland, and other beautiful countries.